Lentil and Vegetable Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup dried lentils, rinsed and sorted
- 1½ teaspoons ground coriander
- 1½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (32-ounce) container low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped sundried tomatoes, packed in oil
- 1 yellow squash, chopped
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup diced plum tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir for 4 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Stir in lentils, coriander, cumin, cinnamon and pepper; cook for 2 minutes.
- Add broth, celery and sun dried tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover; simmer for 25 minutes.
- Stir in squash and bell pepper; cover and simmer 10 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Ladle into soup bowls. Top each serving with diced tomatoes, parsley and basil.
Makes 6 servings.