Navy Bean-Spelt Salad
- 1¼ cups spelt (farro), rinsed and drained (can use quinoa, barley or another grain)
- 2½ cups water
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup minced red onion
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbles (optional)
- Place spelt and water in saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Combine cooked spelt, mint and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Stir well. Cover and store in the refrigerator until serving time.
Makes 5 servings.