Open-Faced Sloppy Joes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ¾ lb. extra-lean ground turkey breast
- 1 medium jalapeno, thinly sliced, seeded
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes, Mexican-style
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon chili power
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, split in half and toasted
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook ground turkey for 2-3 minutes or until no longer pink, stirring frequently. Add jalapeno and cook 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, mixed vegetables, Worcestershire sauce, bouillon granules and chili powder. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes or until tomatoes are tender. Break up large pieces of tomato with the back of a spoon.
- Add sugar, vinegar, and cumin. Cook, uncovered 5 minutes to thicken slightly.
- Place 2 split bun halves on 4 plates. Spoon equal amount of turkey mixture on top of each bun half.
Makes 4 servings.