Roasted Beet and Carrot Salad
- 2 medium beets, peeled, cut into 8 wedges each
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, cut in half lengthwise, and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled, quartered lengthwise, and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 4 cups packed spring greens
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup pecan pieces, toasted
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon dried pepper flakes
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Coat a foil-lined baking sheet with cooking spray. Place beets, carrot and parsnips on baking sheet. Drizzle evenly with 1 teaspoon canola oil and toss gently to coat. Arrange vegetables in a single layer and bake 10 minutes; stir and bake an additional 7 minutes or until beets are just tender when pierced with a fork. Remove from heat. Cool 10 minutes.
- Combine vinaigrette ingredients in a small jar, secure lid. Shake well to blend thoroughly.
- Arrange equal amounts of salad greens on 4 salad plates. In the following order, top with equal amounts of onion, roasted vegetables, raisins and pecans. Spoon vinaigrette evenly over all. Makes 4 servings.