Sloppy Joe Sandwiches
May 22, 2018
By: Rita P. Smith, MS, RD, CDE, Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital
- 1 lb. lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with Mexican seasonings
- ½ cup frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 4 whole-grain hamburger buns
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Coat skillet with cooking spray. Add ground beef, crumbling into small pieces. Cook until browned, stirring frequently.
- Add tomatoes, vegetables, bell pepper, ketchup, cumin, worcestershire sauce and vinegar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover tightly and simmer 15 minutes or until peppers are tender and mixture has thickened.
- To serve, split the buns. Spoon mixture on top of bun bottoms; place the other half on top to make a sandwich.