Sloppy Joes on Whole Wheat Buns
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup diced celery
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 1¼ lbs. lean ground beef or turkey
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Dash of hot sauce
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 8 whole wheat sandwich buns
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet. Add onion, celery, bell pepper and carrots. Cook and stir until tender.
- Add meat. Cook until browned, stirring occasionally to break it up into small pieces. Drain.
- Stir in ketchup, water, chili powder, black pepper, hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Reduce heat to low.
- Simmer 15 minutes or until thick enough to spoon onto buns.
Makes 8 servings.