Slow Cooker Beef Brisket (for sandwiches)
- 1 (4-lb.) beef brisket, fat trimmed, halved crosswise
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (12-ounce) beer or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
Small whole grain buns or toasted ciabatta bread slices
Shredded cabbage leaves
Condiments for seasoning – horseradish sauce, assorted mustards, relish, etc.
- Season brisket with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large skillet. Brown each half on all sides over medium high heat.
- Place beer or broth, onions and garlic in large slow cooker. Top with brisket. In bowl whisk together mustard, hoisin and clovers. Spread over top of brisket.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 10-12 hours or HIGH for 5-6 hours.
- Remove meat to cutting board and cover with foil. Let sit for 10 minutes. Slice thinly for sandwiches.
- Make sandwiches with beef slices, and top with cabbage leaves and condiments. Makes 8-10 servings.