- 1 cup coarsely chopped mushrooms
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (16-ounce) container fat-free or reduced fat cottage cheese
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 24 jumbo pasta shells, cooked in unsalted water and drained
- 2 cups homemade spaghetti sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large skillet over medium high heat, sauté mushrooms, onion, garlic, Italian seasoning and pepper in olive oil until tender. Remove from heat.
- Stir in cottage cheese, spinach and eggs. Mix well to combine.
- Evenly spoon mixture into the shells.
- Spread ½ cup spaghetti sauce in bottom of 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Arrange shells over the sauce. Top with remaining sauce.
- Bake in hot oven for 35 minutes or until hot. Let sit 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
Note: Spinach is an excellent source of the B-vitamin folate.