Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- 4 large zucchini, cut into halves lengthwise
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo, black or red beans, rinsed, drained and coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Hollow out zucchini with a spoon, leaving ¼ inch thick shells; set aside. Chop zucchini that was removed.
- Sauté chopped zucchini, bell pepper, onion and garlic in oil in large skillet until crisp tender, about 8 minutes. Add tomato and basil. Sauté until tomato is wilted and mixture is fairly dry, about 5 minutes.
- Add beans and 2 tablespoons of the cheese to the zucchini mixture.
- Spoon zucchini mixture into reserved zucchini shells; sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Grill, covered, over medium-hot coals until zucchini shells are crisp-tender, about 10-15 minutes.
Makes 4 servings.
Note: These can also be baked in a 350-degree oven.