Sweet Potato Slices
March 27, 2018
By: Rita P. Smith, MS, RD, CDE, Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital
- ½ lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced crosswise into ½ -inch coins
- 1 tablespoon melted butter-oil blend
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup maple syrup (or sugar-free maple syrup)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or brown sugar substitute
- ½ cup toasted pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Toss sweet potato coins in melted butter-oil blend. Place in a single layer on a baking pan; season with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes on until the bottoms are starting to turn golden.
- In small bowl whisk together the maple syrup and brown sugar.
- Remove baking sheet from oven. Flip each potato slice on the baking sheet. Reduce oven temperature to 425 degrees. Drizzle maple syrup over the potato slices. Return to oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes, until the syrup has reduced down and is bubbly.
- Place slices on serving platter. Sprinkle with pecans.