Turkey or Veggie Sausage and White Beans
- Cooking spray
- 6 ounces turkey sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- ½ of large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon dried pepper flakes
- 1 (15-ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Coat with cooking spray. Add sausage, breaking up into bite size pieces. Cook until no longer pick. Remove from skillet onto separate plate.
- Heat olive oil in skillet. Add mushrooms, onion, pepper, Italian seasoning and pepper flakes. Cook for 4 minutes or until just beginning to brown on edges. Stir frequently.
- Add beans, water and cooked sausage. Stir to blend. Cook 1 minute to heat through.
- Remove from heat and stir in parsley and salt. Can be served over brown rice.
Makes 4 servings.