Walnut Pesto Pizza
May 08, 2018
By: Rita P. Smith, MS, RD, CDE, Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital
- 1 (12-inch) prepared whole wheat pizza crust
- 1½ cups frozen green peas
- ½ cup fresh basil
- ¼ cup walnuts
- 3 tablespoon grated pecorino cheese
- 1 small clove garlic
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Brush a large sheet with 1 teaspoon oil. Place the crust on baking sheet.
- Place green peas in drainer and rinse with hot water.
- In a food processor, pulse the basil, walnuts, pecorino, garlic, salt and pepper until finely chopped. Pulse in oil until smooth.
- Spread pesto over the crust. Sprinkle the green peas evenly over the top, and then sprinkle the Gruyere cheese over the peas. Bake 15 minutes until bottom of crust is golden brown.
- Finely grate zest of lemon over the top of the pizza before cutting into wedges.