March 27, 2018
By: Rita P. Smith, MS, RD, CDE, Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital
- ¾ cup no-salt-added tomato sauce, divided
- 4 tablespoons chunky salsa, divided
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 egg whites
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- ½ cup finely minced onions
- 1/3 cup no-salt-added mushrooms, drained and chopped
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned dry oats
- 8 ounces 96% lean ground beef
- 8 ounces lean ground turkey breast
- Note: can use 1 lb. ground turkey breast and eliminate the beef, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a piece of aluminum oil with cooking spray. Place foil on broiler pan; set aside.
- Mix ½ cup tomato sauce, 3 tablespoons salsa, pepper and egg whites in medium bowl. Stir in garlic, onions, mushrooms and oats.
- Mix ground beef into ground turkey in large bowl. Stir in liquid ingredients to meat mixture; mix well.
- Remove mixture from bowl. Shape into a 4x8-inch rectangular loaf and place in pan. Mix ¼ cup tomato sauce and 1 tablespoon salsa; drizzle over the top of meatloaf.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until juices run clear. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.