- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- ¼ cup whole wheat pasty flour
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup finely grated unpeeled zucchini
- 1 tablespoon low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon egg substitute
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, stir together the flours, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In small bowl, stir together the remaining ingredients except the walnuts. Add to dry ingredients. Stir gently just until dry ingredients are moistened. Do not overmix or the scones may be tough.
- Transfer dough to the baking sheet. Shape into a ball. Using palm of hand, flatten down into a 3-inch circle. Fold dough in half, making a half circle. Fold in half again, making a quarter circle. Pat down lightly. Sprinkle with walnuts. Score the dough into 2 wedges by making a cut about ¼-inch deep – do not cut all the way through.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until scones are golden brown and a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven.
- Immediately cut into 2 wedges along the scored cut. Makes 2 scones.