Volunteers are an integral part of Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital. From nursing units, to the information desk, to the gift shop, volunteers contribute thousands of hours each year to support the mission of the hospital "to improve health every day."
All of the following are requirements that apply to most community volunteers. If you do not feel that you are able to meet each and every one of these requirements, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator prior to applying. The minimum service hours required to be part of the SMJH volunteer program is 50 hours of volunteering.
- Cultivating an atmosphere of trust, honesty and integrity
- Recognizing the worth of each and every volunteer
- Expanding services through funding, creativity and innovation
- Attracting and retaining volunteers who are able to meet our mission
- Training volunteers and educating them on healthcare issues
- Encouraging and developing leadership
The vision of Sentara Martha Jefferson Volunteer Services is to be a model healthcare volunteer organization.
Sentara Martha Jefferson volunteers are guided by these fundamental values in order to achieve our mission:
- Ethical behavior
Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital offers students a variety of experiences in both clinical and non-clinical settings for students ages 16-18.
Becoming a Volunteer
Process and Requirements
Our volunteers are wonderful people who possess the following attributes:
- Excellent customer service skills
- Caring nature
- The ability to maintain confidentiality
Process and Requirements
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer with Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital, you must complete an application along with a variety of requirements.
All of the following are requirements that apply to most community volunteers. If you do not feel that you are able to meet each and every one of these requirements, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator prior to applying. We hope and prefer that interested individuals can commit to a minimum of 50 hours of volunteering if at all possible.
• Complete an community volunteer application. Application link
• Group interview with volunteer coordinator
• Complete required orientation education and orientation
• Complete a TB Assessment performed by Sentara Occupational Health Department*
• Annual flu shot performed by Sentara Occupational Health Department*
• Submit to a criminal background check*
• Annual Education training
• Be tobacco-free - Sentara is a tobacco-free organization
*All required health tests and background check are free-of-charge to the prospective volunteer.
Our volunteers are important to us. In addition to providing people with an opportunity to serve their community, we make every effort to recognize their contributions with the following benefits:
- Meal allowance on the days worked
- Special events and programs
- Volunteer recognition programs
There are a number of opportunities for our volunteers at Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital, both in our main campus and at the Outpatient Care Centers at Pantops and Proffit Road.
Examples of current volunteer opportunities include:
- Greet visitors
- Escort visitors/patients or assist them with directions
- Locate patient room information through computer system
- Provide local information to out-of-town visitors
Patient Support Volunteers – Inpatient and Emergency Department
- Rounding on patients
- Listens to patients and their families
- Enables and communicates commendations, requests or concerns
- Facilities resolution of any complaints through reporting
Mammography Front Desk
- Welcomes Patient
- Confirms patient check in on the computer
- Hands patient paperwork to complete
- Communicates information
Non-Clinical Patient Support
- Stock supplies
- Answer phones
- Answer call bells and respond to requests for blankets, nourishment, TV channel changes
- Help keep nursing station organized and tidy
- Stock supplies
- Assist with transportation
- Clean rooms and make stretchers/beds
- Get snacks/drinks for patients
You may submit your application online or attend an information session to learn more about volunteer opportunities at Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital.