Experiential Learning Program for College Students
Sentara Norfolk General Hospital provides college volunteers with the opportunity to experience and observe many aspects of healthcare in a hospital setting. Our Experiential Learning Program (ELP) gives college students the unique opportunity to network and apply learned competencies.
The program is recommended for college students who are interested in pursuing a career in health care.
- Enrolled in a college program on a full or part-time basis
- Commit to volunteering a minimum of four hours a week
- Commit to volunteer for at least six months
- Complete criminal background check (provided free to volunteers after acceptance into the program)
- Complete a TB test and flu vaccine (provided free to volunteers after acceptance into the program)
- Complete online education outlined in the College Applicant Packet
- Attend one scheduled orientation
- Adhere to all SNGH policies and procedures
Benefits to the Volunteer
- Certificate of completion of SNGH ELP (after 6 months)
- Letter of recommendation (for volunteers in good standing)
- Networking and experience in healthcare
- Meal allowance and free parking
- Volunteering is a selfless act of helping others
Please complete the College Student Volunteer Application to be considered for this position. After reviewing your application we will contact you by email with the next steps in the process.