Campus Expansion and Modernization Project
Through 2020, a campus expansion will elevate Sentara Norfolk General Hospital to a higher standard in meeting the needs and expectations of our community as a state-of-the-art destination medical center for the next 30 years.
Highlights of the project include:
- Adding three floors to the River Pavilion and Kaufman wings
- Increasing size and updating patient rooms
- Modernizing vintage 1986 operating rooms to technologically advanced operating suites
- Expanding emergency department and intensive care unit (ICU) capacity
- Increasing women’s health space with a state-of-the-art special care nursery
- Remaining on the forefront of executing on Norfolk’s resilience strategy
Did You Know?
Our construction crane is used to move heavy loads up to 18,000 pounds from the ground to the roof of Sentara Norfolk General Hospital.
Here are interesting facts about the yellow crane used to expand our campus:
- In total the crane weighs 450 tons. That is more than two blue whales.
- The mast and luft of the crane (the arm) if stretched completely straight are 461 feet long. That is 156 feet taller than the Statue of Liberty.
- The crane has 392,000 pounds of counterweight in order to pick up the heavy loads it carries. That is the equivalent of almost 12 city buses.