The behavioral medicine department at Sentara Obici Hospital offers confidential evaluation and treatment programs for adults 18 years and older, all within a newly renovated and caring environment.
Whether a patient comes to us through a referral from their primary care physician or after a visit to our emergency department, our quality, highly-trained staff is on-call to help ensure patients are connected to the care they need. And since everyone’s situation is different, every plan is tailored and personalized to best meet those needs.
Some common conditions we provide support and treatment for include:
- Bipolar disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Postpartum depression
- Substance abuse disorders
If at any time you have a question about the services we provide, whether it’s for you or a family member, please call us at 757-934-4786757-934-4786.
We also regularly employ a variety of therapeutic tools and services, including:
- Individual therapy
- Group therapy and social work group
- Includes recreational therapy and social work groups
- Spirituality groups weekly (and individual sessions as requested) with the chaplain
- Dietary group – Our dietician visits once a week with the group to discuss good nutrition as an important part of overall health and well-being.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
Our Patient’s Role in Care
Whatever the condition and whichever therapies employed, our commitment is to help ensure our patients are informed and involved to the extent possible in developing and implementing their care plan. We believe in helping to empower our patients and better preparing them to be active participants in their recovery.
When you’re at Sentara Obici Hospital, you’re in good hands. Our Psychiatrist-led team of registered nurses, social workers, recreational therapists, and other health care professionals are here to help and serve 24 hours a days, 7 days a week.
While delivering quality, personalized and compassionate care, we’re happy to also provide a comfortable environment for our patients.
- A private entrance preserves privacy and confidentiality for our patients as they arrive.
- We have 10 private, modern and comfortable rooms, each with the ability to dim the lights for a better night’s sleep.
- A laundry room is on-site and available to patients during their stay.
- In addition to a common room, we have a game room for activities, as well as a kitchenette for snacks and coffee breaks.
- We try to bring as many comforts of home as possible to our care environment so the focus can be on health and healing.
If you have a behavioral health issue and you need help, we’re here for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
You can go at any time of day to the Emergency Room to seek out our department’s services. We also encourage you to speak to your local primary care physician. Often times, they know you and what you’re dealing with best.