Have you ever wanted to express your opinion or make a suggestion regarding your hospital experience but didn’t know how? Do you want to learn more about the programs and activities of your community hospital?
If the answer is yes, then consider getting involved with Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital’s Patient & Family Advisory Council (PFAC).
The purpose of the PFAC is to:
- Respond more effectively to patient and family needs and priorities
- Improve the relationships between hospital providers and patients/families
- Build a partnership between our community and the hospital
- Provide ongoing feedback to our administrators to aid in establishing organizational priorities as they pertain to patient services
What are the responsibilities of the Patient & Family Advisory Council Members?
The PFAC are a diverse group of people from the community and from within the hospital. The council’s primary objective is to identify issues that are important to patients and their families. Additionally, they:
- Provide feedback for Sentara Martha Jefferson’s leadership about the hospital’s patient and family-centered care practices
- Are supportive of the hospital’s mission to “improve health every day”
- Listen to other council members and share their ideas and viewpoints in a constructive way
- Can communicate and work with families and staff with varied backgrounds, experiences and styles
- Actively participate in monthly meetings
- Bring a unique perspective
- Maintain patient privacy and confidentiality
- Are ambassadors for the Sentara Martha Jefferson brand in the community
What is the time commitment?
The Patient & Family Advisory Council meets on a monthly basis (12 times a year), for a term of one year (minimum). Meetings are 90 minutes in duration. In addition, at the beginning of our members’ term, they are required to attend a 2-hour orientation session with other hospital volunteers.
How do I become a member of the PFAC?
The PFAC is always recruiting for new members who are former patients or family members of patients.
If you are interested in joining the council, you will be asked to:
- Complete a Patient & Family Advisory Council application online
- Attend a 2-hour orientation session
- Complete a background check
- Take a TB test
- Interview with the Director of Guest Services