Adult volunteers of all ages are an integral part of Sentara Norfolk General Hospital. Adults ranging from 18 years old and up provide a special service at our hospital. Every effort is made to place volunteers in areas of interest and ensure their experience is meaningful.
It is our goal to place volunteers in areas of interest. Depending on the department, we have shifts available in the mornings, afternoons, evenings and on the weekends.
- Lobbies and waiting rooms
- Inpatient nursing units
- Emergency department
- Diagnostic and procedural areas
- Women's health
- Cancer services
- Office environments
- Customer services volunteers
We request that interested individuals commit to six months of volunteering. Additional information regarding these requirements will be provided during the interview.
- Interview with the volunteer coordinator
- Complete occupational health requirements
- Submit to a criminal background check
- Complete online or classroom education
- Attend volunteer orientation
- Comply with annual requirements
Please note the process is slightly different for college students. If you are currently enrolled in college, please complete our college student volunteer application.