Senior Treatment Center Phone: 757-388-3134Electroconvulsive Therapy: 757-388-0479 (Monday, Wednesday, Friday) or 757-730-6673 (Tuesday, Thursday)
Sentara Norfolk General Hospital provides quality treatment for adults and seniors experiencing crisis due to mental illness, emotional distress, or destructive behavioral patterns. Adult Treatment Center at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital The adult program is designed to stabilize patients who require a more controlled environment for healing and growth, as they learn to return to daily routines. Sentara Norfolk General Hospital’s 22-bed adult unit offers:
- Personalized care: Patients receive the care best suited for their individual needs
- Team approach: Our approach to care combines the diverse talents of our board certified psychiatrists, psychiatric nurses, nurse practitioners, dietitians, mental health assistants, grief counselors, social workers, and recreational therapists.
- Safe and clinical environment: The adult unit at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital focuses on thought and mood conditions, such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Patients and their families who face crisis situations related to these disorders, such as harmful behavior, dual diagnosis, and suicidal tendencies, find much comfort here.
The typical length of stay for adults is seven days.
Senior Treatment Center
Our 12-bed senior treatment center is a geriatric psychiatric unit for seniors 55 years of age and older. Patients come to this unit for the treatment of common disorders related to dementia and behavioral changes. Here, patients receive:
- Expert medical care: Our senior patients often face both psychological issues and medical needs. Sentara Norfolk General Hospital’s medical team treats the often complex needs of seniors.
- Personalized care: Each day, doctors, therapists, nurses and social workers meet with our senior patients 1:1. We treat no more than 10 patients at our geriatric care center at a time.
An average length of stay for seniors is 12 days.
Electroconvulsive Therapy Treatments
Electroconvulsive Therapy Treatments Sentara Norfolk General Hospital also provides outpatient services for patients receiving electroconvulsive treatments. ECT is used primarily for cases of severe depression that are not responding to typical treatments, like psycho-pharmacology (a combination of behavioral therapy and medication).
Appointments can be scheduled on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.