The Sentara RMH School of Histotechnology has set forth the following goals:
- To provide 3+1 and 4+1 students in medical laboratory science with the theoretical background and practical laboratory skills required to work in any specialty of the medical laboratory.
- To instill in students professional integrity and pride.
- To acquaint students with the relationship between laboratory test results and associated diseases.
- To provide sufficient background material in medicine and physiology for students to have an intelligent understanding of diagnostic work.
- To instill in students a recognition of the importance of their work as Medical Laboratory Scientists on a medical team whose sole interest is the patient.
- To maintain the standards of the profession of medical laboratory science.
- To prepare students for national certification.
- To graduate medical laboratory scientists with a strong clinical pathology and laboratory management background for a future role in management and education.
Entry Level Competencies
Upon successful completion of the Histotechnology program, the graduate should have acquired the necessary knowledge, skills and professionalism to function as a beginning level scientist, and should be able to:
- Collect, process and solve problems concerning the acquisition of biological specimens for analysis.
- Perform laboratory testing with precision and accuracy while analyzing quality control statistics and solving any problems which may arise. Identify the need for future testing and specify appropriate tests in the evaluation of the patient.
- Correlate all testing results with disease states, interpret unusual results, and solve any problems that may arise in the process.
- Demonstrate the qualities of a professional, including excellent communication skills and the ability to accept criticism.
- Pass a national certification exam for medical laboratory scientists.
- Respect patient confidentiality, apply appropriate safety regulations, work well with others and work under pressure without loss of composure, efficiency or accuracy.
- Apply computer skills and utilize those skills while functioning as a Medical Laboratory scientist.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of management skills as they apply to the management of the clinical laboratory.
- Solve complex problems, analyze data and interpret processes found in the operation of a clinical laboratory.
- Continue professional growth through continuing education activities.
- Analyze clinical laboratory methodologies when selecting the best method.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the current legal issues affecting the profession of medical laboratory science.