Phone: (757) 395-8836
Location: Diabetes Center, 1080 First Colonial Road, Suite 407 (the building is attached to Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital)
Sentara supports patients diagnosed with diabetes and pre diabetes with a comprehensive team of resources. Available team members include diabetes care and education specialists, registered dietitians and certified lifestyle coaches. They collaborate closely with you to help you navigate the condition, including maintaining your blood sugar within the desired range. In the event you have additional health concerns, you can also be referred promptly to specialists for additional support with concerns such as eye, kidney and foot care.
Outpatient Individual Services
- Diabetes Self-Management Training
- Diabetes Intensive Management
- Insulin start / Instruction
- Blood Glucose Meter / Continuous Glucose Monitoring training
- Meal planning / Carbohydrate counting
Group Classes available at Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital
- Healthy Living with Diabetes Classes – Consists of three 3-hour classes offered monthly. Both in-person and virtual options are available. Our program is recognized by the Association of Diabetes Education and Care Specialists and includes topics:
- Diabetes Overview
- Target Blood Glucose Levels
- Nutrition/Carbohydrate Counting/Plate Method
- Acute/Chronic Complications
- Goal Setting
- Daily Activity
- Sick day Management
- Heart/Kidney/Eye Disease
- Food Care
- Coping with Diabetes
How to Register for Diabetes Classes at Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital
Have you found a class that’s right for you? For information, registration and appointments, call the Diabetes Center at (757) 395-8836.
You need a physician referral to participate in individual or group classes. If you see a Sentara Medical Group provider, ask them about completing an electronic referral form. Non-Sentara providers may fax a written referral to (757) 395-8626. Download and print the physician referral form.
Sentara offers a free online Diabetes Support Group, where you can find a support system for living with diabetes. You’ll have the opportunity to learn about diabetes, share your achievements and concerns and hear guest speakers. If you or someone you love is living with diabetes, we invite you to join this group. The Diabetes Support Group is held online on the second Wednesday of every month at 10 a.m.