Take charge of your health with Ornish Lifestyle Medicine at Sentara. Specially trained experts and your loved ones will help you control heart disease without drugs or surgery. You will feel better, younger and more active.
Why Choose Ornish Lifestyle Medicine?
A complete lifestyle approach to heart disease, Dr. Dean Ornish’s reversal program is simple, effective and enjoyable. You will love this program because it is:
- Proven: It is nationally recognized and the only scientifically backed program of its kind. Learn more about the evidence of the program’s success.
- Effective: Unlike medications and procedures, the program quickly tackles the root causes of heart disease, not just its effects. Learn more about the program’s benefits.
- Achievable: Participants love the program and nearly 9 in 10 choose to continue after a year. By contrast, people taking drugs for heart disease often stop following doctor’s recommendations after a year.
- Covered: The program is so effective that Medicare created a special category called intensive cardiac rehabilitation to provide coverage. Many other insurers also cover it. Learn if Ornish is right for you.
Ornish’s Unique Approach to Heart Disease
With Ornish Lifestyle Medicine, you receive a support system and a plan for diet, exercise and stress management. You learn how to use the plan by attending 18 sessions over 3 months.
You meet regularly with a 10- to 15-person group, as well as our team of health experts. The sessions are coupled with ongoing support, providing you with:
- Healthy, delicious meals: A registered dietitian helps you develop a healthy eating plan you can follow at home. You learn new cooking techniques and enjoy a natural, vegetarian meal with your group.
- Supportive community: Each session includes a supportive group discussion to motivate everyone to continue and succeed. Many participants bond with each other and continue to meet after the regular program ends.
- Reasonable exercise goals: Our exercise physiologists help you try different exercises each session. They work with you to build 30 minutes of enjoyable activity into your daily routine.
- Stress management: Managing the stress in your life helps you feel better in every way. Stress management experts teach you methods like deep breathing and yoga so you can better handle stress.
- Materials and resources: We provide many additional resources, including a personalized web portal, an online magazine and instructional videos.
- Alumni networks: After the sessions end, you can still gain support and inspiration through online communities and meetings.
Learn more about lifestyle and heart disease.
Personalized Heart Disease Care at Sentara
Sentara Heart’s team of specially trained Ornish experts tailors a heart care plan for you. Our team builds a strong relationship with you as we guide you through each step.
Our heart disease staff includes:
- Registered dietitian
- Stress management specialist
- Exercise physiologist
- Program medical director
- Nurse case manager
- Psychologist or social worker who acts as group support facilitator
Dr. Dean Ornish: Heart Disease Expert and Respected Researcher
Dr. Dean Ornish is the internationally recognized health and wellness leader who developed the Ornish program. His scientific research over more than 30 years proves this approach can reverse the progression of heart disease.
Dr. Ornish has published his studies in leading medical journals, including:
- The Lancet
- Journal of American Medical Association
- American Journal of Cardiology
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
Dr. Ornish is a professor of medicine at the University of California, San Francisco. His additional medical credentials include:
- M.D. from the Baylor College of Medicine
- Clinical fellow in medicine at Harvard Medical School
- Internship and residency in internal medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital
Start healing your heart and transforming your life. Call an Ornish Care Specialist at 1-877-888-3091 to learn more.