Whether you have an injury, illness or another health challenge, the Sentara team can help. Our rehabilitation and therapy specialists relieve pain, keep you moving and help you stay independent.
Rehabilitation and Therapy: Why Choose Sentara?
Our team designs care plans that meet your unique needs. Program highlights include:
Skilled providers: Our therapists have extra education and training in their specialty areas. Team members have passed certification tests to prove their expertise. Meet our experts.
Collaborative care: We take a team-based approach to your care. We bring all our experts together to ensure you get the right care at the right time.
Convenient therapy sessions: We offer services at clinics throughout Virginia and eastern North Carolina.
Rehabilitation and Therapy Services
Our specialists provide personalized care that builds strength and improves independence. We offer:
Specialty therapy services
Our specialty therapy services program gives you the tools to manage any challenge. We treat every type of injury and condition.
Our specialists work with you and other health professionals to develop the right care plan for your needs. Physical therapy can include:
- Aquatic therapy
- Bracing and splinting
- Electrical stimulation (using electrical impulses to stimulate nerves or muscles)
- Injected medicines
- Special exercises
- Speed and agility training
- Traction (using tension to move a joint or stretch a muscle)
We offer convenient outpatient rehab at our centers throughout the community. Find Sentara therapy locations near you.
If you need more extensive care, inpatient rehabilitation offers services in a supervised setting.
Conditions We Treat With Rehabilitation and Therapy
Our team of physical therapists, occupational therapists and athletic trainers treat all types of injuries and conditions. We help with:
- Arthritis: A condition causing pain and stiffness in the joints. In osteoarthritis, cartilage (protective tissue) between bones wears down, causing painful contact. Rheumatoid arthritis, an immune system disorder, causes painful swelling in the joints.
- Fractures: A break in the bone caused by forceful contact or repetitive stress.
- Lymphedema: Swelling that occurs when lymph (clear fluid containing white blood cells) builds up in the body.
- Muscle injuries: Damage to tissue that happens during injury, overuse or tension.
- Nerve issues: Compression or damage to nerves that causes weakness or pain.
- Speech and swallowing disorders: Challenges with speaking or swallowing that occur with stroke, injury or other conditions.
- Tissue injuries and conditions: Pain, damage or swelling that happens after a contact injury or repetitive motion. These include:
- Bursitis: Swelling in the bursae (fluid-filled sacs that help cushion bones)
- Tendonitis: Damage to the tissue that attaches muscles to bones
- Ligament sprains and tears: Injuries to the ligaments (tissue that joins and stabilizes bones)
Our specialists help you recover after any type of surgery. We also provide return-to-work rehabilitation to get you back on the job safely.
Benefits of Rehabilitation
Count on our services to get you back to your daily activities. Our programs help you:
- Build strength
- Improve balance and coordination
- Increase endurance
What to Expect During Therapy
You should arrive at your therapy session in comfortable clothes. Depending on the type of therapy you're having, we may ask you to change into a hospital gown.
Expect your first visit to last about one hour. Be sure to bring your:
- Doctor's referral or prescription
- Insurance card
- Photo ID (such as a driver's license)
Your therapist will send a report to your doctor after your first session. Your follow-up therapy visits will usually last 30 minutes to one hour.
Learn more helpful patient information before your visit.
Request an Appointment
Schedule an appointment at a Sentara Therapy Center near you. Find our locations.