Pulmonary Rehabilitation at Sentara Heart: Our Approach to Care
At Sentara Heart, our experienced and caring teams of doctors, nurses, exercise physiologists and respiratory therapists will help you take control of your breathing, reduce your anxiety, maintain your independence and become more active.
When you come to Sentara Heart, you will find care that’s:
- Advanced: Our team of expert nurses, respiratory therapists and exercise physiologists, under the direction of a pulmonologist, uses the latest technology, clinical techniques, and evidence-based practices to develop an individualize rehabilitation plan for you.
- Comprehensive: We combine education and exercise to provide patients with a treatment plan that works. Our team will teach you about your condition and develop an individualized exercise routine for you, helping you manage your symptoms and feel better faster.
- Compassionate: We take the time to get to know you, understand your condition, learn your goals and meet your needs. When you come in for each pulmonary rehab session, you will see familiar faces that understand your health situation and that are dedicated to helping you achieve your goals.
Help for Many Lung Conditions and Diseases
Pulmonary rehabilitation can help improve the quality of life for people with a variety of lung conditions and diseases. Ask your doctor if you would benefit from our program. Some of the most common conditions we see are:
- Chronic asthma
- Chronic bronchitis
- Interstitial lung disease
- Lung cancer and post lung cancer surgery
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Reactive airway disease
What is Pulmonary Rehabilitation?
If you have a lung condition, such as COPD, that causes shortness of breath, your doctor may recommend pulmonary rehabilitation as a possible treatment.
Pulmonary rehabilitation is comprehensive program designed to reduce shortness of breath and anxiety and increase muscle strength and endurance through:
- Supervised and monitored exercise
- Individual and group instruction and education
- Breathing techniques
- Anxiety reduction strategies
After we create your individual rehabilitation plan, each rehab session will take about an hour. It will include a combination of individual instruction, discussion, circuit training and weight training designed to maximize the benefit to you. Our programs typically involve:
- 2 or 3 one-hour sessions a week
- 3 or 4 months in duration
Benefits of Pulmonary Rehabilitation
For some people playing golf again may be a reasonable goal while for others walking to the mailbox or shopping at a store is enough to allow them to live independently. Whatever your goal, we will help you get there. Some of the typical benefits of pulmonary rehabilitation may include:
- Fewer panic attacks and less anxiety
- Better muscle tone and endurance
- Increased heart and lung health
- Shorter hospital stays
- Greater independence and flexibility
- Longer work and activity capacity
- More confidence in your abilities
- Improved quality of life
Pulmonary Rehabilitation Locations
Sentara Albemarle Medical Center
1144 North Road St.
Elizabeth City, NC 27909
Sentara CarePlex Hospital
4000 Coliseum Drive, Suite 120
Hampton, VA 23666
Sentara Halifax Regional Hospital
2204 Wilborn Ave.
South Boston, VA 24592
Sentara Heart Hospital
600 Gresham Drive
Norfolk, VA 23507
Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital
590 Peter Jefferson Parkway, Suite 200
Charlottesville, VA 22911
Sentara Northern Virginia Medical Center
2300 Opitz Blvd.
Woodbridge, VA 22191
Sentara Princess Anne Hospital
2025 Glenn Mitchell Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23456
Sentara RMH Medical Center
2010 Health Campus Drive
Harrisonburg, VA 22801
Sentara Williamsburg Regional Medical Center
100 Sentara Circle
Williamsburg, VA 23188
For additional information about pulmonary rehabilitation call 1-800-SENTARA.