Frequently Asked Questions
What is a virtual appointment?
Using the latest technologies in web and telecommunications, consumers and physicians are able to engage in real time, interactive consultations over the phone or online video. Board-certified physicians licensed in Virginia will be available 24 hours a days to diagnose, recommend treatment and prescribe medication when appropriate.
What would I use it for?
A virtual appointment is a good fit for low-acuity illnesses such as allergies, ear aches and colds for patients of all ages, or suspected sinus infections or urinary tract infections in adults only. But this is certainly not a replacement for traditional face-to-face care, and your MDLIVE provider may recommend an in-person physician visit after discussion of your symptoms. Instead, it’s a complement that provides another option when you need care for a minor illness in the middle of the night, on a holiday, or in the middle of a packed work week.
When should I use it?
- If you're considering the ER or urgent care center for a non-emergency
- If primary care physician is not available (outside business hours, etc.)
- If traveling and in need of medical care
- During or after normal business hours, nights, weekends and holidays
Who are the providers?
Providers in the Sentara MDLIVE network in Virginia and North Carolina are credentialed through Sentara and Optima. Sentara physicians are hoping to expand this virtual network over time to include specialists’ follow-up visits as consumer interest in this convenient healthcare option continues to grow.
How much does it cost?
MDLIVE offers a few payment options. Cost. A single visit is $45, less than the cost of a typical visit to an urgent care or the emergency room. Some insurances, such as Optima or Cigna, cover virtual visits at a low cost or allow visits to be reimbursed out of a flexible spending account while various employers also offer additional assistance.
How do I get started?
Accessing Sentara MDLIVE is easy. All you need is a telephone or a computer with an Internet connection:
- Go online to https://www.mdlive.com/sentarahealth – or call 800-335-4836.
- Select "Schedule a Visit."
- Choose to sign up as an individual or family, or activate if you get MDLIVE as a benefit through your insurance or employer.
- Create an account.
- Select a provider on-call or schedule a time at your convenience.