Awards and Recognitions
Our goal at Sentara is to be among the best healthcare providers in the country, so we strive for top 10 percent rankings in all areas where care, quality and service are considered. We’re proud that we have been recognized by many state and national organizations for our work, because it means that we are giving you, our patient, the attention and help you deserve.
Here are just some of our most recent awards and accomplishments:
Sentara Norfolk General Hospital, which includes Sentara Heart Hospital, is recognized with two top national top 25 rankings in 2016-17 America’s Best Hospitals rankings in U.S. News & World Report – ranked #24 in cardiology and heart surgery and ranked #24 in diabetes and endocrinology.
- Sentara Norfolk General Hospital, which includes Sentara Heart Hospital, is recognized with two national top 50 rankings in 2015-16 America’s Best Hospitals rankings in U.S. News & World Report – ranked #31 in cardiology and heart surgery and ranked #41 in ear nose and throat.
- Sentara Norfolk General Hospital is recognized as the number one hospital in Virginia for the second year in a row and with the state’s only nationally ranked heart (#44) and ear, nose and throat (#41) programs in the 2014-15 America’s Best Hospitals rankings in U.S. News & World Report. Also making the top 10 hospital list in Virginia is Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital ranking eighth in the state.
- Four Sentara Nursing Centers in Virginia and North Carolina have received the highest possible overall rating of five stars in U.S. News & World Report's sixth annual Best Nursing Homes:
- Sentara Nursing Center-Windermere (Virginia Beach, Va.), Sentara Nursing Center (Barco, N.C.), Sentara Nursing Center (Portsmouth, Va.) and Sentara Nursing Center (Chesapeake, Va..
- Sentara Northern Virginia Medical Center has been honored by the Prince William Chamber of Commerce with the 2014 Business of the Year Award (with 35 or more employees).
- Sentara Norfolk General Hospital (SNGH), Sentara RMH Medical Center and Sentara Williamsburg Regional Medical Center achieved designation or re-designation as Magnet Hospitals by the American Nurse Credentialing Center (ANCC). This is the highest quality recognition a hospital or health organization can receive for best practices in nursing throughout the world. The designation lasts for four years.
- Sentara Williamsburg Regional Medical Center recently surpassed 10 years without a single case of ventilator associated pneumonia in its ICU.
- Sentara Norfolk General Hospital ranks number one hospital in Virginia with two national rankings for the heart program and nephrology program and Martha Jefferson Hospital ranks in the top 10 for Virginia’s top hospitals in the 2013-2014 America’s Best Hospitals ranking of U.S. News & World Report.
- Three Sentara Nursing Centers, in Virginia Beach, Barco, N.C., and Portsmouth, Va., receive the highest possible overall rating of five stars in U.S. News & World Report’s fifth annual Best Nursing Homes issue.
- All Sentara Hampton Roads hospitals and RMH in Harrisonburg, earn the highest grade of A for delivering safe care to patients according to the 2013 Leapfrog Hospital Safety Scores.
- Sentara is named one of the nation’s Most Wired Health Systems, by Hospitals & Health Networks.
- Sentara has ranked for more than 15 years as one of the nation’s top integrated healthcare systems by Modern Healthcare, and is recognized as the number one integrated healthcare system in 2001, 2009, 2010, and 2011.
- Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius visits Sentara to mark the start of an Health and Human Services initiative called “Partnership for Patients." She tours the Sentara eICU® operations center, which monitors real-time telemetry on more than 100 ICU patients across the system.
- Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital is redesignated as a Magnet® hospital by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
- Sentara receives the 2010 HIMSS Davies Award for the implementation of Sentara eCare®. Sentara is one of the two healthcare systems to win the award, along with six Sentara hospitals.
- Sentara CEO David Bernd is recognized by Modern Healthcare magazine with the 2010 CEO IT Achievement Award.
- Sentara Norfolk General Hospital receives designation as a Magnet® organization by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
- Sentara receives the John M. Eisenberg Patient Safety and Quality award from the Joint Commission and the National Quality Forum for Innovation in Patient Safety and Quality.
- Sentara Norfolk General Hospital wins the Quest for Quality award by the American Hospital Association.
- First Lady Laura Bush visits Sentara Norfolk General Hospital to address hundreds of women about The Heart Truth program.
- Sentara is the first in the nation to pioneer eICU®, a remote monitoring system for intensive care.