Pre-Placement Health Screening
Prior to your first day of orientation, you must complete a pre-placement health screening with Sentara Occupational Health.
How to schedule an appointment:
Call Monday - Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Northern Virginia: 703-523-1390
- Peninsula: 757- 827-2153
- Southside: 757- 507-0746
- Suffolk: 757- 934-4523
- Williamsburg: 757- 984-7440
What to bring with you to this appointment:
- Completed Pre-Placement Health Assessment - submit online or print out completed form and bring it with you to your appointment
- You will need to bring an unexpired, government issued picture ID to the appointment. For most people this would be a driver’s license, military ID card or passport. If the name on your identification does not match the name on your application and social security card, please contact your recruiter to determine the best way to proceed. (Acceptable picture identification will be the same as indicated on the back of the I-9 form and must be current; if the identification you present is damaged and/or expired you will be unable to complete the pre-hire assessments).
- Immunization records, including MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella), Hepatitis B, Meningococcal, TDAP, Varicella (Chickenpox) and Tetanus OR laboratory results of immune titers for Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Varicella (this information may be obtained from your physician or previous health care employer).
- List of any prescription/non-prescription medications you are currently taking.
- Documentation of your last TB skin test. This information may be obtained from your physician, school or previous health care employer.
- If you have had a positive TB skin test in the past, bring any records related to this positive TB skin test with you, including results of your most recent chest x-ray and documentation of your treatment with anti-tuberculosis medications from your personal physician or the health department.
Please allow at least an hour to complete your health screen, and arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the time of your appointment.
Once you have arrived for your appointment, please DO NOT leave the testing area until dismissed by the occupational health nurse.
To ensure their safety, please DO NOT bring small children to your appointment.
During your health screen you will:
- Have your medical history reviewed with an occupational health nurse.
- Receive an assessment to determine your ability to do your new job.
- Receive information about any vaccines if required.
- Receive a tuberculosis skin test if needed.
- Receive other tests as required by the job offered.
During your Pre-placement Health Assessment you will also be required to complete a pre-employment drug test. Please DO NOT call the lab or occupational health about the drug screen results. If your drug screen is positive, a representative will contact you. If you are found to be ineligible for hire due to drug test results, you will be informed prior to your start date and you will be required to wait a minimum of one year before being considered for employment within Sentara.
Influenza Prevention Policy
Sentara has adopted an influenza prevention policy that requires all employees, physicians, volunteers, students and vendors to be immunized against the flu or to wear a mask while at any Sentara facility if they are unable or unwilling to receive the flu vaccine.
This policy is based on evidence that shows healthcare workers can unintentionally expose patients to seasonal influenza if the workers have not been immunized. Evidence also indicates that such exposure can be dangerous to vulnerable patients.
Healthcare organizations have an obligation to prevent the spread of infection to patients in their care. In addition, health care consumers also have the right to assume that health care personnel and the organizations that employ them will take all reasonable measures to reduce and avoid transmission of preventable diseases. This policy is a best practice in preventing the spread of influenza and an initiative many health systems have adopted. It is another step forward in our safety journey and our efforts to get results that count.