Cardiac rehabilitation is prescribed for patients after heart surgery or a heart attack, as well as after an invasive cardiology procedure. Our goal is to guide our cardiac patients back to a healthy productive life through exercise, education and support. Achieving this goal requires a commitment to yourself.
Included are individualized cardiac rehab programs that address risk factor modification, exercise, nutrition, psychological and vocational needs. The rehab center includes a gym-like exercise room with the ability to monitor up to 12 patients on a Tele-Rehab system, a conference room for education and support groups, and a consult room for assessments and one-on-one instruction.
The Cardiac Rehabilitation Program at Sentara Northern Virginia Medical Center is certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR). Certification by AACVPR recognizes programs that are rigorously reviewed by a national board and found to meet essential requirements for standards of care.
What to Expect
Our specially trained cardiac rehabilitation staff will monitor your heart rhythm and blood pressure during exercise. In-group settings or one-on-one, patients are encouraged to share how dealing with challenges of everyday living affects their lifestyle.
Our staff will guide your activities from inpatient to home to outpatient status and back to normal activities. They will help you build an agreeable and beneficial exercise and diet routine into your lifestyle. Our outpatient program consists of up to 36 visits, 3 times a week. Upon completion, your physician(s) will receive your final progress report.
Through the program, we offer the following:
- Supervised exercise classes
- Behavior modification programs for risk factor modification including stress management and smoking cessation
- Cholesterol and blood pressure screenings
- Nutrition evaluation and dietary counseling
- Individual and group support for families
- Diabetic counseling
Cardiac Rehabilitation Benefits
Cardiac rehabilitation offers many benefits to improve your quality of life.
- Increased ability to combat depression and anxiety
- Improved ability to cope with stress and lifestyle changes
- Decreased fear of sexual relations
- Increased awareness of your body and confidence in resulting activities
- Improved efficiency of heart and lungs
- Increased work capacity
- Decreased body fat and weight
- Decreased resting and exercise blood pressure
- Improved cholesterol and triglyceride levels
- Learning to exercise safely and enjoy healthier eating and proper nutrition
- Learning about medications
- Assisting in smoking cessation
- Networking with local support groups