Education and Support
To create the best outcome after joint replacement surgery, the Sentara OrthoJoint Center combines the expertise of a dedicated orthopedic team with the individual needs of the patient and their family. Team members at Sentara OrthoJoint Center locations have been hand-picked for their positive attitudes, motivational skills and desire to provide outstanding service. The staff has been specially trained to provide comprehensive clinical care for patients undergoing joint replacement surgery.
- Patients are assigned an orthopedic navigator to serve as their primary contact to guide them as they plan for, undergo and recover from joint replacement surgery. Navigators offer patient education and are available to answer questions before or after surgery, helping patients feel better prepared before surgery and comfortable once they depart the center.
- Exercise and therapy are provided in a group setting so that patients can support and encourage each other throughout the recovery process. Often, new friendships are made and friendly competition ensues, which enhance the patient's experience. This practice helps patients become part of a network or support group encouraging progress and better outcomes after surgery.
- Family members are encouraged to participate in group activities, meals and other events as the patient recovers. This additional support further helps to boost the patient’s recovery.
Surgery through the Sentara OrthoJoint Center includes the following:
- An informative preoperative joint replacement workshop for patients and family.
- Presentations to help explain the specific joint replacement surgery.
- A comprehensive guidebook for joint replacement surgery.
- Daily educational newsletters while a patient is in the hospital.
- An ambulation board to help track recovery progress.
- Special training for your "coach" – a family member or friend you choose to help with your recovery.
Watch a video on what to expect during your stay at a Sentara OrthoJoint Center®.