About Mammography: Mobile Mammography
The Sentara digital mobile mammography van travels to community sites throughout Northern Virginia, making mammogram appointments fast and convenient for women in our area.
In the Prince William County area, there is a lack of early detection and treatment of breast cancer, particularly for low-income women, leading to a high rate of deaths from breast cancer. Data from this study indicates that women with breast cancer in these areas are detected at a late, more serious stage, which signifies the need for improved early detection and treatment. The mammography van will improve access to mammography screening services for women and links patients with necessary follow-up diagnosis and treatment services.
Benefits of a Mobile Mammography Van Include:
The mobile mammography van brings mammography to a woman’s employer, church or other locations near their home, so they can set aside the time more easily for this important screening tool.
- 40-foot fully equipped mobile mammography van.
- Two private dressing rooms.
- Central air/heating system with back-up AC unit.
- Platform step for safer patient entry.
For more information or to schedule the mobile mammography van for a specific location, please call 703-523-1560703-523-1560.
If any of the following apply to you, please make a mammography appointment at a facility and not the van:
- A serious breast problem, such as a lump, thickening, bloody discharge from the nipple, recent inverted nipple, "orange peel" texture to the skin, redness or discoloration of the breast or any other recent changes that are not normal for the patient.
- Patients under the age of 35.
- Women with a personal history of breast cancer.
- First mammogram after having breast biopsy/surgery or reconstruction.
- Follow-up mammogram less than 12 months from a patient’s most recent normal mammogram.
Mobile Mammography Requirements
If you are over 40, a physician's referral is not required for your annual screening mammogram; however, you will be required to provide your primary care provider’s contact information.
Insurance is billed for patients who have coverage. Care is provided to patients who are uninsured on a prorated basis.
The mobile mammography vehicle was made possible by grants and donations from the Potomac Health Foundation, Sentara Northern Virginia Medical Center Auxiliary, and community members.