Who is a Candidate?
The decision to have weight loss surgery is life changing and is not for everyone. In order to help patients understand the entire surgical process, we provide guidelines and offer weight loss surgery seminars before and after surgery. We also hold monthly support group meetings with patients who have had surgery.
Am I a candidate for weight loss surgery?
Understanding whether or not you meet the guidelines for weight loss surgery is the first step in getting started with your permanent weight loss solution. At Sentara Northern Virginia Medical Center’s Weight Loss Surgery Center, criteria for weight loss surgery includes:
- Body Mass Index (BMI) greater than 40, or 100 pounds or more over ideal body weight (IBW)
- BMI of over 35 (60 pounds or more over ideal weight) and experiencing significant negative health effects (co-morbid conditions), such as high blood pressure or diabetes, related to being severely overweight
- Severe obesity longer than five years
- Failure of previous dieting and medical weight loss attempts
- Appropriate pre-surgical evaluations and medical clearances
- Age of 18 or older
If you have any questions about whether you are a candidate, or if you would like to schedule a consultation with a weight loss surgeon, please call 1-800-SENTARA.