Location: Second floor, main hospital
We at Sentara understand that this is your pregnancy -- and your experience. We are truly honored to be a part of this special time.
Our Family Maternity Center highlights:
- U.S. News & World Report Best Hospital for Maternity Care (2022-23)
- 24-hour coverage by board-certified obstetricians, anesthesiologists, neonatologists and advanced practitioners
- Antepartum care, labor and delivery care, postpartum care and newborn nursery
- 11 private rooms for labor, delivery and recovery and 24 private postpartum rooms. We also have four private triage rooms, two operating rooms and a recovery room.
- Nitrous oxide therapy, an inhaled respiratory, pain management therapy
- Volunteer doula support services, as available
- A Specialty Level 3 Neonatal Intensive Care unit (NICU) featuring 20 private or twin rooms for newborns needing a higher level of care
- Minimal separation of healthy newborns and parents
- Lactation specialists available seven days a week
- Infant security system to ensure safety of all newborns
- Ample space for one adult support person to spend the night
- Breastfeeding and postpartum support groups at no charge
- Women's health and newborn care education classes
Pre-registering makes it easy for you to check things off your baby prep to-do list, which helps keep you focused on you and baby, not the paperwork!