The Sentara Healthcare heart and vascular program includes the nationally ranked Sentara Heart Hospital which is among the top one percent in the country for cardiology and heart surgery. The program's size and more than 30-year history marks it as one of the most experienced and innovative programs available, drawing patients from 49 states outside of Virginia and internationally.
- Nationally Recognized: Sentara Heart Hospital has achieved a top 50 national ranking for cardiology and surgery for almost two decades by U.S. News & World Report.
- Providers: The Sentara multidisciplinary team of experts includes more than 100 board-certified cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons, vascular surgeons and anesthesiologists. Several of these subject matter experts are featured below.
- Innovation: The Sentara heart and vascular program uses the most advanced techniques, technologies and innovative programs available including:
- World's smallest pacemaker
- World's first dissolvable heart stent
- Catheter-based heart valve replacement
- Advanced cardiovascular imaging program (a collaborative partner of IBM Watson)
- Comprehensive advanced heart failure program which includes implantation of ventricular assist devices and artificial hearts
- Advanced heart arrhythmia program
- Research: The Sentara Cardiovascular Research Institute (SCRI) was established in 2005 to advance the understanding and treatment of cardiovascular disease. While Sentara has conducted heart research for decades, SCRI has allowed Sentara to be at the forefront of cardiology research, collaborating with local institutions, government agencies and biomedical companies nationally and internationally. Collectively, research nurses coordinate more than 80 clinical trials at any given time.
News Listing Heart and Vascular
11 Sentara hospitals named among the nation's top hospitals for treatment of heart attack patientsEight Sentara hospitals received the NCDR Chest Pain - MI Registry Platinum award, the highest achievement, and only bestowed upon 262 hospitals nationwide.
Sentara Structural Heart Center first in Virginia to implant heart deviceThe Sentara Structural Heart Center at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital implanted the first JenaValve Trilogy™ Heart Valve in Virginia as part of a clinical trial using the non-surgical valve replacement for the treatment of severe aortic regurgitation. The JenaValve Trilogy™ Heart Valve is an investigational device so it has not yet received FDA approval.
Sentara continues cardiac screenings for Old Dominion University athletesA Sentara cardiologist has partnered with Old Dominion University Athletics since 2017 to prevent cardiac events in athletes.
Services announced for the new Sentara Halifax acute care hospitalNew, modern hospital will have inpatient medical/surgical beds, emergency department, intensive care unit, imaging, surgical suite, laboratory, pathology, pharmacy, and several other support departments.