Last updated March 2023
Because We Care, Sentara Halifax Regional Hospital is operating with modified visitation guidelines until we are able to safely implement additional opportunities for visitation.
Visiting Hours: 8am - 9pm
9pm- 8am: One overnight visitor allowed
Visitation Policy for COVID-19 patients and PUI of COVID-19:
- COVID-19 positive and PUI patients will be limited to one (1) designated visitor until the patient is no longer in isolation.
- This includes Labor & Delivery/Family Maternity Center COVID-19 positive patients. Doulas are not included in the visitor count.
- Visitors for COVID-19 positive patients or patients suspected of having COVID-19 must put on a new mask to exit the facility and must leave the facility immediately after visitation. The visitor should not stop at the cafeteria, gift shop, or visit any other patients.
- Exemptions may be made for end of life visitation at nursing leadership discretion.
- COVID-19 Pediatric patients or suspected of having COVID-19, only 1 parent/guardian at a time in the room is allowed.
- Clergy are allowed to visit in addition to the approved visitor.
- Visitors for COVID-19 positive patients or patients suspected of having COVID-19 are not allowed to eat or drink in patient rooms.
General Visitation Rules:
- All visitors are required to stop at reception, share a photo ID along with their destination, and receive a photo visitor badge.
- Visitors are encouraged to wear a mask and observe social distancing guidelines while inside a Sentara facility.
- Visitors will only be allowed if they do not have symptoms of respiratory infection (fever, cough, shortness of breath).
- Please read the additional safety guidelines if visiting a COVID-19 patient or patient suspected of having COVID-19.
- Visitors entering the facility between 7pm - 8:30am will need to use the Emergency Department Entrance.
- Any visitor who is not following the Visitor Guidelines will be asked to leave without visiting.
- Please limit congregating in waiting rooms. We request that visitors remain in patient's room if possible to free up space in waiting rooms.
- If a waiting room is at capacity, you may be asked to wait outside of the building or in your vehicle.
- Social distancing and masks are required at all times in the hospital regardless of vaccination status, except when eating or drinking while socially distanced.
- Visitors 12 and under are prohibited from visiting in ICU.
- Visitors of patients who have AGP's (aerosol generating procedures) have a risk of exposure and should understand the risk prior to visitation. Please communicate with the patient's nurse.
- Each department may have specific guidelines around how many visitors are allowed at a given time and this may change as patient and/or community needs arise.