Last updated March 1, 2022
The hospital recognizes the value of family and friends in the healing process. Family and friends, in good health, including children accompanied by an adult, are welcome to visit during visiting hours or as arranged to accommodate patient and family needs. To help ensure the safety of all of our guests, please be aware of the following visitation information:
- Visitors are required to wear a mask and observe social distancing guidelines while inside a Sentara facility, regardless of vaccination status. If they do not have a mask, a mask will be provided.
- Visitors will only be allowed if they do not have symptoms of respiratory infection (fever, cough, shortness of breath).
- Visitors will be required to always keep their mask on and must stay in the patient’s room. No food or drink is allowed into the clinical area.
- Visitors must wash their hands or use hand sanitizer when entering and exiting patient room.
- Please read the additional safety guidelines if visiting a COVID-19 patient or patient suspected of having COVID-19.
Visitation Policy for COVID-19 patients and PUI of COVID:
- COVID-19 positive and PUI patients will be limited to one (1) designated visitor until the patient is no longer in isolation.
- This includes Labor & Delivery/Family Maternity Center COVID-19 positive patients. Doulas are not included in the visitor count.
Hospital Entrance Hours
Visiting patients at Sentara Heart Hospital is available 24-hours a day, however to ensure the safety of our patients, visitors and staff, most hospital campus entrances will be closed at 8 p.m.
After 8 p.m., entry will be limited to River Pavilion and emergency department entrances only.
Hours of operation for each campus entrance:
- 24-hours a day: River Pavilion entrance will be open and staffed 24-hours a day.
- 5:15 a.m. to 8 p.m.: Sentara Heart Hospital lobby and parking garage entrances
- 5:15 a.m. to 8 p.m.: Kaufman lobby (entrance facing parking garage)
For arrival times near entrance closing times, please be aware that you may be required to obtain a badge in the lobby.
Visiting After 8 p.m.
To visit after 8 p.m., please enter through the River Pavilion entrance and check in with hospital security. Visitors will be asked to sign in, declare their destination, present a valid picture ID and wear a visitor badge issued by hospital personnel at the information desk in the River Pavilion lobby.
For emergencies, the entry doors of the Kaufman Lobby and Sentara Heart Hospital back door (across from the Heart Hospital parking garage) will be equipped with cameras and intercoms connected to the Safety & Security Control Center.
For your comfort and convenience, family lounges are available on the 2nd and 3rd floors and include big-screen televisions, phones, wireless Internet access, educational materials and a variety of small sitting areas to allow for family privacy. A refreshment center is located adjacent to each family lounge. Please note family lounges are not staffed on Saturday and Sunday. If you feel you need an update, please ask the family lounge attendant to contact one of our team members. If there is no attendant on duty, please call 757-388-8281 for an update.
There is limited lodging provided at a nominal fee in the Guest Center located on the 6th floor, at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital. For more information or for reservations call 757-388-3118 or 800-237-4822, extension 3118. After hours, the nurse can contact the Patient Care Supervisor regarding availability.