The Sit, Stay, Heal Pet Therapy Program originated from the belief that dogs offer a special therapeutic component to patients of every age that hospital staff cannot provide. Your involvement will allow you and your pet to provide comfort, healing and joy to people in need.
Pet Therapy Program Requirements
All of the following are requirements that apply to most adult volunteers. If you do not feel that you are able to meet each and every one of these requirements, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator prior to applying. We request that Pet Therapy volunteers commit to a minimum of two visits per month for up to 1.5 hours each visit. Additional information regarding these requirements will be provided during the interview.
- Handlers must be at least 18 years old. Dogs must be one year or older and have lived with the handler for a minimum of six months.
- We require all handlers and dogs to have a current certification through Therapy Dogs International. Please contact the Volunteer Coordinator regarding other certification programs.
- All handlers are required to complete an Adult Volunteer Application
- Interview with the Volunteer Coordinator
- Complete Occupational Health Requirements
- Submit to a Criminal Background Check
- Complete Online or Classroom Education
- Attend Volunteer Orientation
- Comply with Annual Requirements for Handler and Dog