Sentara Healthcare supports a philosophy of healing that involves patient-centered care. We invite patients to have guests 24 hours a day 7 days a week with exception of a few restricted access units. Sentara Healthcare does not discriminate against visitors based on race, culture, color, religion, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or any disability or handicap. We understand that the patient may need to surround themselves with family and/or friends to heal physically, emotionally and spiritually. We support our patient's right to have any visitors of their choosing, including domestic partners (which includes same-sex domestic partners). For the health and safety of children under 12 years of age, a supervising adult, other than the patient, must accompany them at all times.
- All visitors are required to stop at reception, share a photo ID along with their destination, and receive a photo visitor badge.
- Visitors are encouraged to wear a mask and observe social distancing guidelines while inside a Sentara facility.
- Visitors will only be allowed if they do not have symptoms of respiratory infection (fever, cough, shortness of breath).
- Please read the additional safety guidelines if visiting a COVID-19 patient or patient suspected of having COVID-19.
Visitation for Labor & Delivery/Family Maternity Center
- Labor & Delivery: Welcoming up to three (3) visitors at a time. Doulas are not included in visitor count.
- Antepartum: Welcoming up to three (3) visitors at a time. Doulas are not included in visitor count.
Family Maternity Center is continuing to focus on patient safety and may need to adjust visitation as appropriate. Siblings under the age of 12 welcome to visit with supervising adult.
Visitation Policy for COVID-19 patients and PUI of COVID:
- COVID-19 positive and PUI patients will be limited to one (1) designated visitor until the patient is no longer in isolation.
- This includes Labor & Delivery/Family Maternity Center COVID-19 positive patients. Doulas are not included in the visitor count.
For patient safety, the following units have restricted access:
- Women's Health
- Behavioral Health
- Emergency Treatment