Cancer Rehabilitation: Why Choose Sentara?
We develop individualized care plans to help you recover and feel your best after cancer treatment. Program highlights include:
- Skilled providers: Our therapists have extra education and experience working with people healing from cancer. We help you manage the physical impacts of cancer treatments.
- Proven approach: We focus on therapies that help build your strength and increase endurance. We provide a tailored care approach based on your goals.
- Compassionate care: We start by listening to understand the challenges you face. Then, we work with you to help you get back to the activities you love.
Cancer Rehabilitation Treatments and Services
We offer free screenings to see if you or your loved one can benefit from cancer therapy. Our specialists begin by checking your current skills and abilities, including your:
- Functional living skills (ability to care for yourself)
We provide treatments and services to help you regain strength and independence after cancer treatment. We offer:
Our physical therapists create an exercise plan for your unique needs. We help you overcome the impacts of cancer treatment on your body, including:
- Neuropathy (nerve damage)
Our specialists personalize your exercise program, ensuring you move for the amount of time and at the exertion level that's right for your body. We help you regain and maintain strength while you continue to heal.
Cancer treatment can affect your breathing and aerobic capacity (how much oxygen you can take in and use during movement). Our specialists design specific exercise plans to help strengthen your lungs and work together with our experts in the complex treatment of lung cancer. If you have questions about how cancer affects your lungs, reach out to our cancer network.
Patient and family education
We know that knowledge is power when you're managing life after cancer. Our specialists offer advice and training on:
- Changes you can make to improve safety at home
- Exercises you can do on your own to keep getting stronger
- Managing pain with medication or pain-management techniques
- Nutrition to improve your wellness
Find a Sentara location near you.
Specialty therapy servicesWe offer many specialty therapy services that can help you manage the effects of cancer and its treatment. These specialty therapies include lymphedema therapy (managing swelling after cancer surgery) and speech and swallowing therapy.
Conditions We Treat With Cancer Rehabilitation
Our specialists use physical therapy and occupational therapy techniques to treat:
- Balance and posture problems
- Decreased endurance
- Fatigue and weakness
- Gait changes (problems with walking)
- Joint stiffness
- Physical Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
Benefits of Cancer Rehabilitation
We help you get stronger and have more energy so you can continue to heal after cancer treatment. Our rehabilitation specialists work with you to help you remain independent and get back to the activities you enjoy.
Meet Our ExpertsOur rehabilitation and therapy specialists deliver expert care after cancer treatment. Meet our experts to learn more about how we care for you.
Request an Appointment
Learn more about cancer rehabilitation at Sentara. Call 855-852-9066 to request an appointment or find more patient information.