At Sentara Norfolk General Hospital, a number of surgery options are available. Click the links below to learn more about surgery options.
Hours: Monday – Friday, 5 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Contact Us: 757-388-2200757-388-2200
The Sentara Norfolk General Hospital (SNGH) Outpatient Surgery Unit serves as the hospital’s main outpatient surgery program and works in collaboration with the overall surgery program as an integral part of the continuum of care.
The Sentara Norfolk General Hospital Outpatient Surgery Unit provides state-of-the-art outpatient surgery for a wide variety of specialties including:
- Ear, nose and throat
- General pediatric surgery
- General surgery
- Plastic surgery
Parking & Check-In
If you arrive between 6 a.m. and 7 p.m.
- Park in the outpatient parking lot directly in front of the River Pavilion entrance. Outpatient parking is free to patients and their drivers for the day of surgery.
- Enter River Pavilion front doors and take the lobby elevator to the 3rd floor.
- Check-in at the outpatient surgical and diagnostic unit front desk.
If you arrive after 7 p.m.
- Park in the inpatient/visitor parking lot in front of the main entrance.
- Enter through the main entrance front doors.
- Register in the admitting department.
For more information, including pre- and post-surgical instructions, visit Sentara Surgery Services.
Minimally Invasive Surgery
Sentara Norfolk General Hospital is widely recognized for its pioneering and innovative approach to Minimally Invasive Surgery (MIS) also known as keyhole surgery. MIS is patient friendly because of decreased recovery time, less post-operative pain, and less scarring. MIS services include:
- General surgery (gallbladder, colon resection, hernia, and gastric bypass)
- Gynecology surgery (supra-cervical hysterectomies)
- Urology surgery (nephrectomies and prostatectomies)
- Select spine surgery
Some of the complex procedures, like colon resection, lung resections, and nephrectomies, are sometimes converted to open procedures because of previous surgery, adhesions or other non-anticipated complications.
Sentara Norfolk General Hospital is the region's first hospital to offer robotic surgery for cardiac and urology procedures. Using the da Vinci robotic surgery system, surgeons operate with greater visualization, magnification, and dexterity. Patient benefits include faster recovery time, less pain, less scarring, and less risk of infection.