Sentara is dedicated to providing you with the best in healthcare, both in terms of treatment and patient experience. We respect your rights as a patient and want you to understand your responsibility as a partner in your care.
As a patient in a Sentara hospital, you have certain rights and protections guaranteed by state and federal laws. These exist to help ensure the quality and safety of your hospital care. A copy of "Let’s TALK about Patient's Rights and Responsibilities" will be provided to you upon your admission to the hospital.
You have the right to...
- Participate in informed decisions about your plan of care.
- Have your medical care explained to you clearly.
- Be treated with respect and dignity.
- Appoint a Healthcare Agent.
- Confidentiality of your medical information and records.
- Review your whiteboard and daily goals of care.
- Know the names and roles of your health care team members.
- Read your medical record and request a copy be provided.
- Express concerns about your care or safety and get a prompt response.
- Interpreter and translation services, assistive devices, and communication aids and services, at no cost to you.
- Have your Primary Care Physician (PCP) and your representative of choice notified of your admission. If you do not want your PCP notified, please let us know.