Last updated March 2023
Visitation for most units that is desired by the patient is encouraged and not restricted to specific hours, with the exception of the Family Birthing Center at Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital. However, the physician or charge nurse may request visitation restrictions for the safety/well-being of the patient, visitors or other patients on the unit.
If you are visiting our Family Birthing Center at Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital please read our family visitation policy.
Masking and symptom/exposure screening is still required for all visitors.
- All visitors are required to stop at reception, share a photo ID along with their destination, and receive a photo visitor badge.
- Visitors are encouraged to wear a mask and observe social distancing guidelines while inside a Sentara facility.
- Visitors will only be allowed if they do not have symptoms of respiratory infection (fever, cough, shortness of breath).
- Please read the additional safety guidelines if visiting a COVID-19 patient or patient suspected of having COVID-19.
Visitation Policy for COVID-19 patients and PUI of COVID:
- COVID-19 positive and PUI patients will be limited to two (2) designated visitors, one (1) visitor at a time, until the patient is no longer in isolation.
- This includes Labor & Delivery/Family Maternity Center COVID-19 positive patients. Doulas are not included in the visitor count.
The Cancer Center (including radiation oncology, medical oncology, and infusion) will allow one visitor per patient.