Pre-Placement Health Screening
- Upon accepting a conditional offer of employment with Sentara Healthcare, the applicant must schedule an appointment for a pre-placement assessment. This assessment can be performed at any of the Sentara Employee Health clinics, and it will include a urine toxicology/drug screen as well as any other medical surveillance testing needed for the employee’s work environment. (For example, respirator fit-testing, vision screening, or necessary bloodwork will be included in this assessment.)
- The locations for Sentara Healthcare Employee Health clinics may be found here: Employee Health Services.
- The pre-placement assessment should be scheduled at least 1-3 weeks prior to your target start date to allow adequate time to be fully cleared. This assessment must be completed, with all results available to the Employee Health department, by the Thursday prior to the employee’s intended date of hire. If results are not available to the Employee Health department by that Thursday, the employee’s date of hire will be adjusted to a later date.
- If you have not already scheduled an Employee Health screening, please immediately call 757-261-5713757-261-5713.
- Please allow at least an hour to complete your health screen, and arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the time of your appointment.
- DO NOT bring small children to your appointment or your appointment will be re-scheduled.
For the Pre-Placement assessment, please bring with you:
- Completed Pre-Placement Health Assessment – Please login as a guest and complete the annual health assessment.
- Identification proving your eligibility to work in the US; please refer to the I-9 requirements provided to you in your Welcome e-mail by HR Solutions.
- An unexpired, valid government-issued photo ID. For most people this would be a driver’s license, military ID card, or passport.
- Note: If the name on your identification does not match the name on your application and social security card, please contact HR Solutions to determine the best way to proceed. If the identification you present is damaged and/or expired you will be unable to complete the pre-hire assessments.
- Immunization and/or immune titer records, specifically including the following (this information may be obtained from your physician, school, or previous health care employer):
- MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) series or positive titers
- Hepatitis B vaccination series and positive titers
- Varicella (Chickenpox) vaccination series or positive titer
- Tdap vaccine (Tetanus, diphtheria, adult pertussis)
- Influenza Vaccine for current influenza season
- If you have previously tested positive for Tuberculosis (TB), bring all of the following:
- documentation of the positive test
- documentation of your follow up evaluation and treatment
- a chest x-ray taken within the previous 6 months
- All medications that you are taking (prescription and non-prescription) with a copy of entire label that includes: name, dispensing date and expiration date, and pharmacy with phone number.
- Eyeglasses or contacts, if applicable
- If you are not 18 years of age, your parent or legal guardian will need to sign a consent in order to draw blood
- Physician or Fitness for Duty notes for any medical conditions or surgeries in the past 5 years, releasing you for full duty or stating what restrictions you currently have.
During your health screen:
- Once you have arrived for your appointment, you may NOT leave the testing area until dismissed by the Employee Health Nurse.
- You will be given paperwork to complete
- An Employee Health Nurse will review your medical history, past vaccinations and paperwork with you.
- The Employee Health Nurse will perform an assessment to determine your ability to do your new job.
- You will undergo a standardized urine drug test/toxicology. Please DO NOT call the lab or employee health about the drug screen results.
- You will receive information about any vaccines that may be required.
- Your blood will be drawn to determine if you have had a previous tuberculosis exposure, and other testing if needed.
- You will be informed of any additional testing that needs to occur based on your individual history and your specific work environment.