When daily activities are difficult because of upper extremity pain or stiffness, our specialists can help. The Sentara hand therapy team offers care and pain relief for the hands, wrists, elbows and shoulders.
Hand Therapy: Why Choose Sentara?
Our specialists design treatment plans customized to your specific needs. Program highlights include:
- Expert providers: Our therapists have extra education and training in treating conditions that affect the hands and upper body. Many Sentara specialists have earned the certified hand therapist designation from the Hand Therapy Certification Commission. Meet our experts.
- Collaborative care: Our experts share their knowledge and work together on your treatment. This team approach ensures you get all the care you need in the same place. Your therapist will send a report to your doctor after your first session.
- Convenience: You have access to care right in your community - we offer services at clinics throughout Virginia and eastern North Carolina. We provide evaluation appointments right away, including some walk-in appointments.
Hand Therapy Services
Our specialists provide personalized care to help you heal after injury or surgery. We relieve pain and movement issues in the hands, wrists, elbows and shoulders. Services we offer include:
We teach you new ways of moving that prevent repetitive motion injuries and improve flexibility and function.
Whether your pain is sudden (acute) or long-term (chronic), we help you find relief. We offer:
- Heat therapy: Heating the area increases circulation and decreases stiffness
- Cold therapy: Cold can help decrease pain and swelling
- Splinting: Splints can be used for immobilization, protection, optimal positioning, or mobilization
- Manual therapy: Including soft tissue mobilization, instrument-assisted soft tissue mobilization, active release technique and joint mobilization
Physical and occupational therapy services
Our trained therapists design personalized programs with specific exercises to help you:
- Build strength
- Improve range of motion
- Increase dexterity
We get you back on the job as quickly as possible. Our return-to-work rehabilitation specialists work with your employer to recommend workplace changes that support your recovery.
Our hand therapy experts help you manage the physical demands of your job so you can stay healthy and active. We may also recommend changes to your workstation or office environment to help your healing.
After a wound has healed, we offer scar management to that improve range of motion, flexibility and appearance. Treatments include:
- Exercise programs to ease movement of joints and tendons
- Soft tissue mobilization and desensitization to help reduce scar sensitivity and improve scar mobility
- Compression garments and modalities for edema control
Conditions We Treat With Hand Therapy
Our specialists help heal all types of injuries and conditions of the upper extremities. We treat:
Bone and joint concerns
Pain and stiffness can occur when bones are injured or wear away. We help with:
- Arthritis: Pain and stiffness in the joints resulting from:
- Osteoarthritis: Painful contact that occurs when the cartilage (protective tissue) between bones wears away
- Rheumatoid arthritis: An immune system disorder that causes joints to swell and become painful
- Dislocations: Bones that move out of their normal position because of forceful contact
- Fractures: Bone breaks resulting from hard contact or repetitive stress
Muscle and tissue conditions
Moving the upper extremities can be painful when muscle and tissue damage occurs. Our therapists treat:
- Burns: Skin and tissue damage caused by heat, chemicals or electricity
- Bursitis: Swelling that occurs in the fluid-filled sacs (bursae) that provide cushioning for bones
- Ligament tears: Damage to tissue that holds bones together and stabilizes joints
- Muscle pain: Pain or tissue damage resulting from overuse or injury
- Nerve issues: Damage to nerves that causes weakness or discomfort, such as carpal tunnel syndrome
- Tendonitis: Injury to tissue that attaches muscle to bone
Benefits of Hand Therapy
Our hand therapy services help you:
- Avoid re-injury
- Feel less pain
- Get stronger
- Improve flexibility
- Recover from injury or surgery
- Regain function
Learn more helpful patient information before your visit.
Request an Appointment
Schedule an appointment at a Sentara Therapy Center near you. Find our locations.