When you decide it is time for your new beginning, it's helpful to know the steps you'll need to take in your journey. We are here to help you through each step of the way.
Weight loss surgery is not for everyone, and before going any further, you should find out if it’s right for you. Here are some steps to follow:
Attend a Weight Loss Surgery Seminar
Choosing weight loss surgery isn't an easy decision. That's why the Sentara Weight Loss Surgery team requires everyone to complete an informational seminar. Each Sentara location offers in-person seminars. Check your closest Sentara hospital to see if an online seminar option is also available.
Both seminar options will walk you through the procedures offered at your Sentara hospital. Procedures may include Gastric Bypass Surgery, Sleeve Gastrectomy, ORBERA™ Gastric Balloon, Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch Gastric Bypass.
Financing Your Surgery
Costs for weight loss surgery may vary greatly, based on your individual needs and the type of surgery you pursue. Many insurance programs will cover the cost of surgery. However, insurance coverage for weight loss surgery varies by the insurance carrier and employer group. After you attend our information seminar, you will contact your insurance company to verify that you have "morbid obesity" benefits. To qualify for surgery, many insurers require supervised diets and special clearance letters from your physicians. Our surgeons' office have staff who will work with you to navigate insurance requirements.
You may pay for the surgery yourself if insurance coverage is not provided. Pricing information is available through the physician offices.
Who is a Candidate?
If you've been thinking about weight loss surgery as a tool in losing your excess weight and maintaining your ongoing health goals, you can use the guideline and qualifications below to determine if these procedures could be an option for you:
You may qualify for weight loss surgery if:
- You are at least 13 years old
- You are at least 100 pounds overweight or:
- Your Body Mass Index (BMI) is 40 kg/m2 or higher
- Your BMI is at least 35 kg/m2, and you have one or more serious obesity-related conditions, such as high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, or sleep apnea.
- You have been overweight for more than five years
- Your serious weight-loss attempts have had only short-term success
- You are not suffering from any other disease that may have caused your excess weight
- You are prepared to make healthy changes in your eating habits and lifestyle
Keep in mind that only a qualified physician/surgeon can properly evaluate all the factors in your case.