Gastric bypass or gastric sleeve surgery may be the next step for people who are looking for a permanent weight loss solution after trying nonsurgical approaches, or, for people who have an obesity-related disease. You may be a candidate for surgical weight loss if you:
- Are 100 pounds or more above your ideal weight or have a BMI of 40 or higher.
- Have a BMI of at least 35 and are diagnosed with at least one or more serious obesity related conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, or sleep apnea.
- Have no severe medical, psychological or emotional conditions that would render surgery too risky.
- Have no dependence on drugs or alcohol, or have been sober for a year.
- Have tried and failed at previous efforts to lose weight.
- Understand the seriousness of the surgery and the necessity for a lifelong personal commitment to a healthier diet and lifestyle.
- Have obesity-related physical problems that interfere with employment, walking or family function
Remember: There are no guarantees for any method, including surgery, to produce and maintain weight loss. Success is possible only with maximum cooperation and commitment to behavioral change and medical follow-up -- and this cooperation and commitment must be carried out for the rest of your life. Sentara offers personalized support following weight loss surgery, including support groups, counseling, nutrition and fitness programs for a successful weight loss goal.