(Applications will become available in February 2023)
The Junior Volunteer Program will be held June - August. Days of availability will be Monday-Friday. Applicants must be at least 14 years old on or before June 1, 2023 and have completed the 8th grade by the end of June 2023, with a "C" or better average.
Junior Volunteer Requirements (email additional documentation or questions to VolunteerSPAH@sentara.com)
Applicants must comply with the requirements listed below.
- Complete a junior volunteer application
- In-person interview with volunteer coordinator
- Complete employee health requirements
- Copy of most recent grades
- Attend a one-time orientation session (In person)
- Annual training (e.g. confidentiality agreement) for returning junior volunteers)
Application deadline is April 23, 2023. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Sentara recognizes the importance of volunteering for the professional and social development of youth. We believe the time, dedication, and collaboration with our junior volunteers provides teens with invaluable experience and leadership skills.
Commitment, Assignments, and Service
The volunteer is committed to work his or her scheduled shift for at least six of the seven weeks. Junior volunteers provide an invaluable service to the hospital while gaining experience and responsibility in a professional setting. Junior volunteers are placed in a variety of areas throughout the hospital, including: lobbies, nursing units, surgery departments, gift shop, Pharmacy, offices, and outpatient areas.
Rewards of Volunteerism
- Personal development
- Contributing to the community
- Learning to work with peers and adults
- Gain experience in healthcare
Earning volunteer hours necessary for colleges and scholarships