Dry needling works with your personalized physical therapy program to aid healing. The specialists at Sentara use this therapy to help relieve pain quickly.
Dry Needling: Why Choose Sentara?
Our expert physical therapists offer dry needling to help relax tight tissues and reduce stiffness. This specialized care helps improve range of motion to make movement easier. We may recommend dry needling as part of your physical therapy program.
Dry Needling Services
Dry needling helps release myofascial trigger points (knots) in your muscles. These trigger points can make moving painful, limiting your mobility.
Therapists insert thin, flexible needles into the skin and muscle at the trigger point. These needles stimulate connective tissue and help loosen muscle knots, relieving myofascial pain.
Conditions We Treat With Dry Needling
Dry needle therapy requires a prescription from a medical doctor. We use dry needling to treat a range of conditions, including:
Our specialists use dry needling to relieve pain due to:
- Back, neck (spine) and shoulder injuries
- Overuse injuries
- Patellofemoral syndrome (runner’s knee)
- Plantar fasciitis (inflamed tissue in the foot that causes heel pain)
- Tendonitis (inflammation in tissues that attach muscle to bone)
Dry needling helps relax tightness and pain related to pressure on nerves. We treat:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome: Hand and wrist pain that occurs with nerve compression (pinched nerve)
- Compartment syndrome: Pain in the arms or legs due to decreased blood flow that prevents oxygen from reaching nerve cells
- Headaches: Pain in the head or neck due to muscle tension or pinched nerves
- Piriformis syndrome: Pain in the buttocks, back or leg caused when the piriformis muscle compresses the sciatic nerve
- Radiculopathy: Pinched or damaged nerves resulting from muscle tightness
- Sciatica and back strain: Pain radiating from the buttock down the leg due to a compressed nerve
Benefits of Dry Needling
Dry needling helps increase blood flow to tight muscles. Using this procedure, our specialists can:
- Decrease pain and tenderness
- Improve range of motion
- Increase muscle function, strength and control
Request an Appointment
Learn more about our locations and schedule an appointment at a Sentara Therapy Center near you.