Injury, surgery or aches in your bones and joints can make movement challenging. Experts at Sentara help with personalized therapy plans that reduce pain and restore function.
Orthopedic Rehabilitation: Why Choose Sentara?
Our orthopedic experts design rehabilitation plans that help you move without pain. Program highlights include:
- Expert therapists: Our certified physical therapists have extra training and experience in creating orthopedic care plans. We get you back to your daily activities quickly.
- Collaborative care: We work with your orthopedic surgeon and other health professionals to ensure you get the right care at the right time.
- Convenience and comfort: Our specialists provide rehab services in Sentara Therapy Centers throughout Virginia and eastern North Carolina. You can get care in your community.
Orthopedic Rehab Treatments and Services
Orthopedic rehab helps strengthen your musculoskeletal system, improve movement and relieve pain. We offer:
Conditioning before surgery
Our therapists get you ready for surgery with specific exercises to help you recover quickly. This exercise program helps your joints get stronger and stay flexible.
About four to eight weeks before surgery, our therapists screen you to learn your individual needs and develop a specific conditioning program. Some Sentara Therapy Center locations offer a 12-week program before surgery, along with consultations with a fitness specialist.
Rehabilitation after surgery
After surgery, you meet with our physical therapy and occupational therapy specialists to discuss your goals and needs. Our experts work as a team to manage pain and help you heal. If you've had total hip replacement or total knee replacement surgery, our therapists make sure your new joint is functioning well.
Our hand therapy program offers comprehensive care after injury or surgery to the hands, wrists, elbows or shoulders.
We treat some conditions that affect muscles and joints with manual therapy. Our certified manual physical therapists offer hands-on treatments, including:
- Joint manipulation (moving the joint to increase range of motion)
- Soft tissue mobilization (moving and stretching muscles, ligaments and tendons)
The McKenzie Method experts assess your symptoms and recommend specific movements to help reduce pain and improve range of motion. We teach you how to perform these movements at home to manage symptoms.
Conditions We Treat With Rehabilitation Therapy
Our physical therapists treat all types of musculoskeletal injuries and conditions. We help with:
- Arthritis: Osteoarthritis is pain and stiffness in the joints that occurs when cartilage (protective tissue) between bones wears down, causing contact. Swelling and pain in the joints also occurs with rheumatoid arthritis, an immune system disorder.
- Fractures: Bone breaks caused by hard contact or repetitive stress.
- Muscle injuries: Tissue damage caused by injury, overuse or tension.
- Tissue injuries and conditions: Pain, damage or swelling that happens after injury or repetitive motion. These include:
- Bursitis: Swelling in fluid-filled sacs that help cushion bones (bursae)
- Tendonitis: Damage to tissue that attaches muscles to bones (tendons)
- Ligament sprains and tears: Injuries to tissue that joins bones (ligaments)
Benefits of Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Our specialists design rehabilitation therapy plans that help you feel and move better. Orthopedic rehabilitation helps:
- Build strength
- Improve range of motion
- Relieve pain
We work with you to make daily activities easier. Orthopedic rehabilitation can help with:
- Climbing stairs
- Getting in and out of bed
- Transfers (such as getting into a car or sitting in a chair)
- Using the toilet
Request an Appointment
Schedule an appointment at a Sentara Therapy Center near you. Visit our locations.